Re: [OWLWG-COMMENT] Re: Cardinality Restrictions and Punning

On 1/4/08 7:42 AM, Michael Schneider wrote:

[snip]
> But I now see that I can get the same effect even much easier:
>
>    (A1') <C> a owl:Thing
>    (A2') <D> a owl:Thing
>    (A3') <C> owl:sameAs <D>
>    (A4') <C> a owl:Class
>    (A5') <D> a owl:Class
>    (A6') <C> owl:ComplementOf <D>
>
> Now, in Full follows from (A3')
>
>    (E1') <C> owl:equivalentClass <D>
>
> Thus, by (E1') and (A6'), the new ontology is Full-*inconsistent*. But
> because (E1') doesn't follow in DL+Pun (punning is too weak for this), this
> ontology is DL+Pun-*consistent*.
>
> Oh dear, this ontology is so simple! One could even savely remove all the
> typing axioms, leaving just the two triples (A3') and (A6'). I really should
> have found this example immediately, how embarrassing! :)

Michael,
Don't be so hard on yourself because you found this example before you
just forgot about it :) This was the underlying problem you mentioned in
[1] that owl:sameAs has weaker semantics under punning. This is a
well-known issue that was pointed out by other people in this mailing
list (e.g. see [2]). Not everybody agrees this is a major problem and I
tried to explain my point-of-view in the previous thread [3].

Cheers.
Evren

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2007OctDec/0134.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2007JulSep/0087.html