Re: Inferring Properties based on Types

On 15 Sep 2007, at 23:18, Michael Schneider wrote:

> Hi, Tim!

It isn't possible in either OWL or OWL 1.1.

The "work-around" given below by Michael is similar to what you would
get be using a suitable DL-safe rule -- intuitively, this is a rule
of a form such that it will only affect named individuals. An
arbitrary rule (such as the one you give above) can be transformed
into a DL-safe one by introducing a new unary predicate, say
NamedIndividual, that is true for all named individuals (this can be
achieved by adding the ground fact => NamedIndividual(i) for every
individual i occurring in the ontology), and by adding atoms
NamedIndividual(?v) to the body of the rule for each variable ?v used
in the rule.

Of course using a DL-safe rule (or equivalently Michael's work-
around) with an ontology O will *not* (by itself) result in
entailments such as the class of people having a male sibling being a
subclass of the class of people having a brother.

Regards,
Ian