Re: Defining Classes by datatype ranges

On 23 Aug 2007, at 14:53, Matt Williams wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Does OWL 1.1 support defining classes by datatype ranges (e.g.
> OldMen \equiv Men and hasAge >65)?

Yes.

 From <http://www.owldl.com/ontologies/family.owl>

    <owl:DataRange rdf:about="#GreaterThan65">
       <owl11:onDataRange rdf:resource="&xsd;nonNegativeInteger"/>
       <owl11:minExclusive rdf:datatype="&xsd;int">65</
owl11:minExclusive>
    </owl:DataRange>

<owl:Class rdf:about="#Senior">
       <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
          <owl:Class rdf:about="#Person"/>
          <owl:Restriction>
             <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasAge"/>
             <owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#GreaterThan65"/>
          </owl:Restriction>
       </owl:intersectionOf>
    </owl:Class>

(I think that's up to date syntax.)

> I don't think OWL-DL does (although am very happy to be corrected).

"Supports"....In principle you can use URIs to refer to custom
datatypes of this sort, e.g., as defined in XML Schema files.
Unfortunately, there is no canonical way to associate a URI with that
definition. You might look on this old page:
	<http://www.mindswap.org/2003/pellet/>

"""User-defined Simple Datatypes The main problem of having user-
defined datatypes is how to define URI's for XML Schema definitions.
This document from SWBPD working group at W3C discusses the problem
and several different solutions in detail. In Pellet, we adopt the
DAML+OIL solution which says a datatype URI is constructed from the
URI of the XML schema document and the local name of the simple type.
We parse the XML schema document from the given URI and locate the
type using name attribute of the definitions.  See as an example
ontology that refers to the datatype descriptions in the XML schema
document located here."""

(See the page for the requisite links.)

Cheers,
Bijan.