RE: Are DeprecatedClasses invisible to DIG Reasoners?

Hi, Bill...
    I also have little experience in interpreting these documents, but
I'll give it a shot.  I don't know what additional issues the DIG
protocol might bring into play, so I can only comment on the OWL
aspects.  It appears that you might be getting a little confused between
the semantics of a _class_ that is _typed_ as a DeprecatedClass and the
actual DeprecatedClass _axiom_, itself.  I believe it is the axiom that
"has no meaning in the model theoretic semantics other than that given
by the RDF(S) model theory", meaning that an OWL reasoner should not
treat the class any differently than if it was not typed as a
DeprecatedClass.
    This interpretation of the statement you quoted from the OWL
Reference appears to be in line with the semantics you cited from
section 3.3 of the OWL Semantics document, wherein the presence of a
DeprecatedClass axiom only expands the extension of the rdf:type
relation and does not otherwise affect the semantics.
    Given this, I believe you could say that DeprecatedClasses are NOT
invisible to reasoners, but that the DeprecatedClass axiom (effectively)
is.  (Mind you, I'd say this is true for OWL DL, though not so much for
OWL Full, about whose semantics I will not claim any solid
understanding.)  I believe this is in line with most models for
deprecation in computer languages.  That is, something which is
deprecated will continue to operate as it always, but the user of it (be
it a programmer, modeler, user, etc.) may receive warning messages to
remind them that they should try to transition away from using it.

-Brandon :)