RE: declaredAs

>From http://www.webont.org/owl/1.1/xml_syntax.html:
  <owl11xml:Declaration>
    <owl11xml:OWLClass owl11xml:URI="#animal"/>
  </owl11xml:Declaration>
  <owl11xml:Declaration>
    <owl11xml:ObjectProperty owl11xml:URI="#eats"/>
  </owl11xml:Declaration>

The document cited above doesn't clarify any relationship of owl11xml:URI with
our friends rdf:ID & rdf:about. Can anyone help on this? I am also wondering how
Pat's statement that there are no 'declarations' -- that there are assertions
only in RDF semantics -- squares with this XML element?  Finally, how does this
element relate to declaredAs?
Thanks