Re: declaredAs

>Thanks Pat,
>
>Followup question in line
>
>On Aug 9, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>
>>>Does it break it, or does it make the OWL-1.1 entailments only be
>>>a subset of OWL-Full entailments.
>>>If it breaks, could you say how please?
>>
>>Peter Patel-Schneider has made the point. RDF semantics is in line
>>with CL semantics by interpreting names as individuals, and
>>allowing individuals to act as classes and properties by mapping
>>them to class and property extensions. This has the consequence
>>that A=B means they are equal in every way, including as classes
>>and as properties. 1.1-style punning maps each name to individuals,
>>classes and properties separately, with no semantic association
>>between these three denotation mappings. This allows the names A
>>and B to have any pattern of identity, including being equal but
>>not equal as classes, which is impossible in RDF or CL.
>
>In RDF this isn't possible anyways, is it, since there is no way to
>express that two individuals are the same, is there?

True. But there is in OWL-level languages and above, so the question
arises of whether equality is congruent with what the RDF semantics
says is identity.

>CL is a point of interest, but I'm not sure how germane it is to a
>discussion of OWL.

Well, I have a side axe to grind here, in that I want the W3C
standards to be at least compatible with the CL ISO standard. Quite a
lot of people in Government agencies are very keen to use an ISO
standard when one is available, so it would I think be a mistake to
break the link to CL casually, if it is easy to keep it by a
relatively small change. But also, we have found in several recent
projects that the CL semantic (and syntactic) 'style' has a lot of
operational advantages. And more basically still, to me, the idea
that things can be the same thing yet at the same time different
classes, just seems semantically incoherent. It doesn't make
intuitive sense. The fact is, one simply cannot have a logical
equality in the punning semantics: but equality is a very basic
notion, and is widely thought of as part of the fundamental apparatus
of logic like the quantifiers or connectives. So the fact that it is
incommensurate with the punning semantics strongly suggests that
there is something basically wrong with the latter. OK, I concede
that this is only a theoretician's intuition, but it is a very strong
one, and I tend to rely on intuitions like this.

>Also, would this situation (A=B misses entailment
>equivalentClasses(A,B) and equivalentProperties(A,B)) not fit my
>characterization that the relation of OWL 1.1 to OWL Full is that
>OWL 1.1 is missing some entailments that would be concluded using
>OWL Full semantics?
>
>>One cannot build the 'punning' style semantics as a semantic
>>extension of the CL-style model theory. One also cannot have
>>genuine logical identity in the punning style semantics. (You can
>>imitate it in OWL 1.1 by saying that it means (sameIndividual AND
>>sameClass AND sameProperty), but this hack won't extend to richer
>>logics and so will have to be redefined over and over again.)
>
>I think this answers the reverse question, namely can OWL 1.1 be
>considered a semantic extension of OWL Full. I was asking if
>OWL-Full can be considered a semantic extension of OWL 1.1.

Yes, it can. If one imposes the extra condition that sameIndividualAs
always entails all the other identities, then the punning semantics
becomes isomorphic to the RDFS/CL-style semantics. But this makes OWL
1.1 into a kind of sub-logic rather than a real logic. I think its
important to get the basic logic of the Web as intuitively
semantically clear as possible, independently of considerations of
efficiency for reasoners. If it turns out that nobody at Manchester
or anywhere else knows how to make an efficient, complete
theorem-prover for the language, then let them publish the
deficiencies of their software clearly and tell people how to avoid
them: but don't warp the basic communication language of the SWeb to
fit the current state of the inference-engine art (which is in any
case a constantly moving target.)

Well, now you know what I think, anyway :-)

Pat