RE: Disjoint Properties in OWL 1.1

Hi Matt!

First a hint: Please use <public-owl-dev@w3.org> for posting into the
OWL list, not <public-owl-dev-request@w3.org>. Your mail did not reach
the OWL list, AFAICS!

Matt Williams wrote on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 at 11:35:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to understand some of the new features in OWL 1.1,
> specifically the disjoint properties.
>
> If understand them correctly, then:
>
> f1: People \exists hasPositiveIntention. Intention
> f2: People \exists hasNegativeIntention. Intention
>
> where hasPositiveIntention and hasNegativeIntention are disjoint
> properties then:
>
> f1 & f2
>
> will be non-satisfiable ?
>
> Is that correct? Any other pointers/ gotchas in using them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

f1&f2 would just be the class of all those people p, which have both, at
least one positive intention i1, and at least one negative intention i2.
This class, of course, /can/ be satisfied, for instance by myself! ;-)

But the disjointness of the two properties would not allow that both
intentions i1 and i2 are the /same/ for a given person p. More abstract: If

   (p,i1) \in hasPositiveIntention

then

   NOT [ (p,i1) \in hasNegativeIntention ]

and vice versa.