Re: Ontology numbers

On 26 Jun 2007, at 15:00, tim finin wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there's anything similar for F-Logic, and for
>> logic programming in general. It's clear that various things
>> *could* be ...
>> I suspect it's mostly that without a standard (e.g., a media type)
>> and the right publicity, examples aren't that obvious. And I
>> clearly don't know the right google keywords. So I would
>> appreciate some pointers if anyone has them.
>
> I suspect that the vast majority of logic programming programs
> are simply not Web accessible.

And I don't want programs.

> The prime use case for RDF/OWL involves putting ontologies and
> data on the web.

Well, I don't agree with that. However, it is a key feature.

But even so, it's not like people were hiding Galen. Where's the big
example? People are telling me Ontoprise has some industry ones
hidden away... it'd be nice if there were at least stats and a write
up or three.

>   Moreover, the web documents are heavily
> interlinked, so it's easy to discover them.

I'm skeptical that is a major contributer. Plus, neither explains the
absence of "showcase" ontology and F-Logic using projects a la Galen
or Snomed (or DL using systems like NCI before it went OWL).

Granted, Apelon doesn't have a lot of public ontologies that I can
easily see, but the papers are at least suggestive:
	http://www.apelon.com/literature/conferencepapers.htm

Plus there were repositories, however "eh" (e.g., the DAML ontology
library).

> No so for LP, which uses a traditional programming paradigm
> where programs are mostly accessible on local filesystems.

Erhm. RuleML has been around. SWSL-Rules. WSML. Plus again, I'm
looking for the big exemplars. I understand that Ontoprise has some,
so maybe there's a write up somewhere.

> The handful of Prolog programs I've put on the Web have been
> examples developed for classes.  Moreover, I've had to use
> non-standard extensions for these since our department's Web
> server assumes the .pl extension is Perl.

Yes, but there's been "real" prolog repositories (programs, not
ontologies) for years, e.g.,

	http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/prolog/
code/0.html

not to mention the often extensive libraries bundled with Prolog
systems.

Even CLIPS has some interesting examples:
	http://www.ghg.net/clips/download/executables/examples/

(Not to mention all the written up projects.)

Anyhoo. It'd be great if some F-Logic folks could put together a
resource page on actual use (not that this is easy! but the dearth is
depressing to me)

Valli pointed me to:

	http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/KAW/KAW98/benjamins2/

So I'll keep poking.