Re: on owl:imports

Pat Hayes wrote:

> I agree. But I don't follow why you need this:

Consider:

ex1.owl
<> owl:imports <ex2.owl>.
<> owl:imports <ex3.owl>.

ex2.owl
<eg:a> <eg:p> <eg:b> .

ex3.owl
<eg:a> <eg:q> <eg:b> .

I believe a legal interpretation can have I(ex2.owl) = I(ex3.owl), (in
fact these seem wholly unconstrained) and so ex1.owl does not
necessarily have two owl:imports.

Using the named graphs extension to RDF semantics would fix this, for
example, by requiring I(ex2.owl), I(ex3.owl) to be the two different
singleton sets of triples listed. That extension, is, of course,
designed to be compatible with OWL Full.

Jeremy

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England