Re: Limitations of OWL 1.1 to RDF mapping

On 20 Nov 2006, at 17:28, Jim Hendler wrote:

> Ian - if I try to translate the below into a more informal form, I
> think it says that OWL 1.1 will be an extension of OWL DL, but
> possibly not of OWL Full.  Is that right?

Up to now, there hasn't been any attempt to extend the RDF-Compatible
Model-Theoretic Semantics so as to capture the meaning of OWL 1.1.
Assuming that this is what you mean by not being an extension of OWL
Full, then it is certainly right that this is the current status.

> WOuld there still be an effort to make sure Full is enhanced with the
> same features that DL is (the way the current DL and Full remain
> syntactically aligned)?

Of course every OWL 1.1 ontology is an OWL Full ontology, so in this
sense OWL Full, by its very nature, will be syntactically aligned with
OWL 1.1. I guess what you are asking about is extending the
RDF-Compatible Model-Theoretic Semantics so as to make the extra syntax
meaningful in OWL Full. As I mentioned, interest has been expressed in
working on this, so I guess that the answer is yes -- it is likely that
there will be such an effort.

Ian