Re: perspectives on OWL v.next and RDF

On Nov 19, 2006, at 5:05 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2006, at 9:30 AM, Jim Hendler wrote:
>
>> Bijan - for those of us who aren't OWL

1.1? I can never think of you as *not* an OWL insider :)

It's not so much "insiderness" here. None of the OWL 1.1 people are
involved in the development of the EL family (or tools for it, though
that will change...).

>> insiders, how about a pointer to this EL++ thing, whatever it is.
>

> http://owl1_1.cs.manchester.ac.uk/tractable.html#2
> http://lat.inf.tu-dresden.de/%7Eclu/papers/archive/ijcai05.pdf
> http://lat.inf.tu-dresden.de/research/papers/2006/BaaLutSun-
> IJCAR-06.pdf

Thanks Alan.

I'll also point out the EL+ reasoner Cel:
	http://lat.inf.tu-dresden.de/systems/cel/

(other publications on that page).

There was a company at ISWC that claimed a complete EL++ reasoner as
a product, but I can't find it on the Web.

Also, to my not *huge* surprise, I read last night that EL at least
can be reduced to datalog. See chapter 2 of Yevgeny Kazakov's thesis:
	http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~ykazakov
He did a prototype implementation as well which did pretty well (and
he's not a razzle-dazzle programmer, by any means).

Cheers,
Bijan.