Re: Assigning a property in OWL DL

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2006, at 2:10 PM, Daniel Gresh wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been wondering how to assign a property to an individual in  OWL
>> DL. I can do it in OWL Full, but the OWL DL syntax won't allow  me to
>> do it the way I am thinking of. This is what I am currently  trying:
>>
>>  <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://ontology.lle.rochester.edu/
>> IRCalSystemAppendix">
>>    <j.0:ImageProperty rdf:resource="http://
>> ontology.lle.rochester.edu/Pics/Diagnostics/Calorimetry/D-AB-
>> R-035_REVA_13.png"/>
>>    <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://ontology.lle.rochester.edu/
>> InfraredFullApertureCalorimeterSystem"/>
>>  </rdf:Description>
>>
>> I get these messages from my syntax checker:
>>
>> Invalid OWL DL syntax in j.0:ImageProperty-statement: j.
>> 0:IRCalSystemAppendix j.0:ImageProperty j.1:D-AB-R-035_REVA_13.png
>>    Unknown Resource j.1:D-AB-R-035_REVA_13.png. In OWL DL a type  for
>> every individual is mandatory (beside 'owl:DeprecatedClass' or
>> 'owl:DeprecatedProperty').
>> Unknown Resource j.1:D-AB-R-035_REVA_13.png. In OWL DL a type for
>> every individual is mandatory (beside 'owl:DeprecatedClass' or
>> 'owl:DeprecatedProperty').
>> This ontology is NOT well-formed.
>

> What checker is this? Icky, man.
>
> It looks like the problem is that you don't have a type triple for
> the png. Try adding
>
> <owl:Thing rdf:about="http://ontology.lle.rochester.edu/Pics/
> Diagnostics/Calorimetry/D-AB-R-035_REVA_13.png"/>
>
> (Pellet will suggest such triples. Try the Pellet demo page.)
>
> [snip]
>
>> So, I am obviously missing something. I'm not really sure what to  do
>> at this point. Does anyone have any ideas?
>

> Hope this helps. It might help to avoid the rdf:resource shortcut.
> That way you always have the opportunity for  a typed node on the
> object.
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

Thanks for the reply. I added a type to the property (Don't know why I
didn't think of that when it said there wasn't a type), and that solved
that issue; I defined it to be an ObjectProperty.. However, there is
still another problem:

Invalid OWL DL syntax in j.0:ImageProperty-statement:
j.0:IRCalSystemAppendix j.0:ImageProperty j.1:D-AB-R-035_REVA_13.png
This ontology is NOT well-formed.

Let me post my updated code:

<owl:ObjectProperty
rdf:about="http://ontology.lle.rochester.edu/ImageProperty"/>
<j.0:InfraredFullApertureCalorimeterSystem
rdf:about="http://ontology.lle.rochester.edu/IRCalSystemAppendix">
    <j.0:ImageProperty
rdf:resource="http://ontology.lle.rochester.edu/Pics/Diagnostics/Calorimetry/D-AB-R-035_REVA_13.png"/>
  </j.0:InfraredFullApertureCalorimeterSystem>

This takes care of the type problem. The "invalid OWL DL syntax" is
still a mystery. I do not get why it is saying this, as it looks good to
me. What is invalid about it? Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Dan