Re: OWL 2.0

Denny Vrandecic wrote:

>4) I would love to be able to define syntactic sugar, like partitionOf (I think,
>this is from Asuns Book on Ontology Engineering). ((A, B, C) partitionOf D) means
>that every D is either an A or a B or a C, that every A, B or C is a D, and that A,
>B and C are mutually disjunct. So you can say this already, but it needs a lot of
>footwork. It would be nice to be able to define such shotcuts that lever upon the
>semantics of existing constructors.

DAML+OIL has this and so did pre-standard versions of OWL.  It was removed from
OWL to simplify the language.  The contruct was called: disjointUnionOf.  If people
want this feature, they should speak up.  That way, should the issue be revisited
there will be a record of interest in the feature.  I was one of the few in webont
who spoke in favor of keeping the construct.

>5) That said, another form of syntactic sugar - beacause again you can use existing
>OWL constructs to reach the same goal, but it is very strenuous to do so - would be
>to define UNA locally. Like either to say "all individuals in this ontology are
>mutually different" or "all individuals with this namespace are mutually different".
>I think, due to XML constraints the first one would be the weapon of choice.

I am not sure you will ever get anything but allDifferent to address this requirement.
It doesn't quite do what you want, but it is close.

-Evan