Re: QUIC: recent developments

Hi Sergio,

sorry for jumping in here. :)

What is the "maximum-packet-size" by your definition? Let's take
SCTP-based data channels for an example: If you have a completely
unreliable channel (by that, I mean nothing is being retransmitted) and
you don't want to waste any bandwidth, then your message is limited by

mtu(interface) - headroom_for([udp, dtls, sctp])

which is the available payload size per chunk at a specific point in
time. So, the message's size would have to be less or equal to that. Is
that the information you want to retrieve? Be aware that this value
isn't constant. For some implementations, it may even change in between
the "send" call and the actual transmission of the data because the
underlying UDP socket has changed. Things may even get more complicated
when diving into the topic of chunk bundling (which both SCTP and QUIC
do as far as I can tell).

A question about your use case: In my mind, unreliable channels will
usually be used for time-related information such as the current
temperature of some device. Taking into consideration that large
messages will lead to the problem you've stated, I'd compress that
information but that's about it. It's not really dynamically sizeable
data unless I have bundled update information that *could* be sent
independently (for example, data from a bunch of sensors). Is this the
use case you have? If yes, why bundle this information in the first
place? If not, could you elaborate? (Note that I'm not questioning the
usefulness of your proposal to be able to retrieve that value via the
API. Just trying to understand the use case.)

Cheers,
Lennart