Re: Proposal for SctpTransport (and big picture diagram)

From: Bernard Aboba <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 03:38:12 +0000
To: "public-orca@w3.org" <public-orca@w3.org>
Peter --

The Big Picture diagram is great.

A question about RTCDataChannelParameters.

Now that we have allowed a Data Channel to be connected to
a transport, I am wondering whether some parameters in
RTCDataChannelParameters shouldn't be parameters of the transport
instead.

For example, in WebRTC 1.0 DataChannelInit, protocol refers to the
sub-protocol, but that might or might not make sense depending on
the transport.

Does it make sense to have RTCSctpParameters?

A missing piece of the current ORTC API is SCTP data channels.  I
think this part of WebRTC 1.0 is pretty good, we this exception of its
dependence on SDP and PeerConnection.  I propose we add a
createDataChannel method and a ondatachannel event similar to the one
on WebRTC 1.0's PeerConnection.  But instead of adding it to directly
to DtlsTransport, we create an SctpTransport which wraps a
DtlsTransport, like so:

[Constructor(RTCDtlsTransport)]
interface RTCSctpTransport {
 attribute RTCDtlsTransport transport;

 static RTCSctpCapabilities getCapabilities();

 void start(RTCSctpCapabilities remoteCaps);
 void stop();

 DataChannel createDataChannel(RTCDataChannelParameters);
 EventHandler<DataChannel> ondatachannel;
}

dictionary RTCSctpCapabilities {
 int maxMessageSize;
}