From: Simon Rainer <Rainer.Simon@ait.ac.at>
Sent: Monday, December 9, 2019 8:28 AM
To: James Smith <jgsmith@gmail.com>
Cc: public-openannotation@w3.org <public-openannotation@w3.org>
Subject: AW: Expressing relations between targets?

Hi James,

I agree - we'd ideally want to identify the people via URIs. And then the assertion "is father of" would be a statement between those two entities.

However, within the annotation environment, the scenario is that this would be like a note, made a human editor, on the text. So I'm inclined to say that, we are indeed talking about a statement about two strings of text - at least at this point in the workflow.

I guess the example is also not ideal here. The annotations might just as well be highlighting two different text paragraphs, and the annotator would drag an arrow between them saying "the author is repeating him/herself here", or whatever. I.e. irrespective of what ever "real world meaning" might be behind the arrow eventually, I'm primarily interested in using WebAnno/Open Annotation to model the textual editing part.

Cheers,

Rainer