Re: modeling location-of or birth-place-of

On 01/01/2018 22:05, karlg wrote:

> Thanks for this, Rob, it’s a big help. I think Option 1 is our answer
> – my constraint is that for this application (WHGazetteer) we need
> compatibility with Pelagios/Peripleo, which is OA, potentially
> indexing each other’s contributed annotations (TBD). I think we will
> favor JSON-LD, and interpret a few “standard” properties, maybe
> per-target_type. If contributions don’t include them, our interfaces
> will have to manage that somehow. E.g. a person could have an asserted
> connection to a place, but for an unknown interval. I like to avoid
> what I call the “dumb edge problem” but need to accommodate the
> realities of historical data.

Karl,

Yes, I would agree with using the body of the annotation to hold
structured information about the birth/act of creation/etc. My own
preference would be to record it as a self-contained event/activity,
with the person appearing within the annotation body in the appropriate
context, as well as being the target of the annotation.  That way, the
annotation body is self-contained and useful as it stands, without your
needing to refer across to the target to make sense of it.

Best wishes,

Richard

--
*Richard Light*