Re: Interlink annotations

On 08/05/2015 11:46 AM, Andre Z. wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I wonder whether it is possible to establish a directed connection
> between annotation objects. The scenario is as follows: One has
> identified two concepts in a document by semantic concept tagging. Now
> you want to describe the relation between both by a property. I have
> thought about this a bit and find two approaches useful:
> Approach (1): Annotation A is referencing the annotation B (and
> probably vice versa)
> Approach (2): A third annotation C describes the relation between A and B
> Does someone could imagine how to model this in OA?
> Kinds regards
> Andre

Hi Andre,

Good question.  My 2 cents:

Assuming both annotations A and B and the property are identified by
URIs A, B and P resp., you can easily do your approach (1): Just create
a triple

     A P B .

(or vice versa: B P A. ).   You need to write your own application logic
to do something useful with that triple, but it should not break any
existing OA software. I would probably take this route myself, because I
would need only one triple extra and have the full flexibility of using
RDF to define or reuse whatever property I want.

or: do your approach (2): just create annotation C with A as the body
and B as the target (or vice versa).  Downside is that there is no
logical place to model the property other than in the oa:Motivation
bits, which is as general as the "real" RDF property in the first
approach.  Old-timers on this list might remember I ranted in the past
that not being able to use a plain RDF property to model the relation
between body and target is a missed opportunity for OA.  But I never got
enough support to do something about this... oh well... you cannot get
everything in life ...  :-)

Hope this helps,

Jacco