Re: gelatinous resources and naming things with their hashes

> On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Bob Morris <morris.bob@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> MediaWiki(MW) installations such as WikiPedia, and perhaps most Content
>> Management Systems, serve jellylike documents. By this I mean that while
>> they offer a "permanent link" claimed to be a URL to a "specific version",
>> that parmalink value doesn't  change when the served html changes because
>> something changes in the chain of document construction calls ("Templates"
>> in MW) .  This seems to make the permalink a less than wonderful URI
>> especially for the object of such things as oa:hasScope, or in general for
>> other predicates that implicitly, or explicitly, require that one or another
>> URI refers to an immutable resource.

This is indeed a problem.

Specifically for MediaWiki systems, the recently released version 2 of
the Memento extension [1] addresses this problem: When requesting a
prior version of a page by using its generic URI (e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris) and Memento's datetime negotiation
(expressing version time in the Accept-Datetime HTTP header) the
returned version page can be rendered using the template that was
active at the expressed version time, as well as made to include the
temporally appropriate version of embedded images. If they still
exist, that is. A description of the extension, design choices,
performance tests, challenges addressed is at [2].

Cheers

Herbert

[1] bit.ly/memento-for-mediawiki
[2] http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.3876