Re: Annotation Serializations

On 19 Jan 2014, at 22:01 , Paolo Ciccarese <paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another aspect is relative to the multiple tags (which looks neat in the HTML as it is):
>
> {
>    "@type": "Tag",
>    "value": [
>        "web",
>        "standards",
>        "annotations"
>     ]
> }
>
> From an application, I would have probably serialized as:
> {
>    "@type": ["oa:Tag", "cnt:ContentAsText"],
>    "cnt:chars": "web"
> },
> {
>    "@type": ["oa:Tag", "cnt:ContentAsText"],
>    "cnt:chars": "standards"
> },
> {
>    "@type": ["oa:Tag", "cnt:ContentAsText"],
>    "cnt:chars": "annotations"
> }
>
> However, I am assuming - if format and language are the same - the above could be written also as:
>
> {
>    "@type": ["oa:Tag", "cnt:ContentAsText"],
>    cnt:chars: [
>        "web",
>        "standards",
>        "annotations"
>     ]
> }
>
> Would this work?

So... I am not sure. First of all, see the reference to cnt:ContentAsText in my previous mail; I would propose we rely on RDFS for this.

But I realize that the two snippet are not identical and that includes a possible mistake in the RDFa code.

To make it clearer in terms of Turtle: the first snippet you write means:

[ a oa:Tag; cnt:chars : "web" ]
[ a oa:Tag; cnt:chars : "standards" ]
[ a oa:Tag; cnt:chars : "annotations" ]

whereas the other one says

[ a oa:Tag;
  cnt:chars "web", "standard" "annotation";
]

ie, three different objects as opposed to one with three tags. I am not sure what today's OA says, but having three objects may make things more complex for the end user and I am not sure it is worth doing it as opposed to the second approach.

Ivan

> [...]
> Paolo
>

> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, Ivan–
>

> On 1/19/14 2:39 PM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> Ok. I accept these as proofs that an HTML based serialization fulfill
> a real demand. How would we do that is something that a possible WG
> will have to define/show; having some ideas jotted down on the wiki
> will be useful.
>
> Done:
>  http://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/wiki/Serializations
>

> But I do not think we should disregard JSON either, I could see use
> cases for that, too. Eg, if the annotation cannot be attached to the
> core text (this is the way Diigo, as well as most of the ebook
> reading system, do it) but are rather stored outside the text (eg, on
> a server), then the simplicity of JSON, as well as its wide usage in
> different tools, becomes a big plus.
>
> I absolutely agree. JSON is going to be an extremely common interchange and wire format.
>

> The beauty of OA is that it defines an abstract model, and the
> serialization is well separated. That is a major feature to embrace
> and showing/documenting different serializations is a major asset..
>
> Agreed.
>

> (Thanks to Doug for having started this...)
>
> And thank you for giving me the opportunity to make my proposal more coherent, and for improving my crappy code.
>
> Regards-
> -Doug Schepers
> W3C Developer Relations Lead
> Project Coordinator for SVG, WebApps, Touch Events, and Audio
>

> --
> Dr. Paolo Ciccarese
> http://www.paolociccarese.info/
> Biomedical Informatics Research & Development
> Instructor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School
> Assistant in Neuroscience at Mass General Hospital
> Member of the MGH Biomedical Informatics Core
> +1-857-366-1524 (mobile)   +1-617-768-8744 (office)
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the addressee(s), may contain information that is considered
> to be sensitive or confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to any other party without the permission of the sender.
> If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.
>

> --
> Dr. Paolo Ciccarese
> http://www.paolociccarese.info/
> Biomedical Informatics Research & Development
> Instructor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School
> Assistant in Neuroscience at Mass General Hospital
> Member of the MGH Biomedical Informatics Core
> +1-857-366-1524 (mobile)   +1-617-768-8744 (office)
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the addressee(s), may contain information that is considered
> to be sensitive or confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to any other party without the permission of the sender.
> If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/