Re: Annotation Serializations

Hi, Ivan–

On 1/19/14 2:39 PM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> Ok. I accept these as proofs that an HTML based serialization fulfill
> a real demand. How would we do that is something that a possible WG
> will have to define/show; having some ideas jotted down on the wiki
> will be useful.

Done:
  http://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/wiki/Serializations

> But I do not think we should disregard JSON either, I could see use
> cases for that, too. Eg, if the annotation cannot be attached to the
> core text (this is the way Diigo, as well as most of the ebook
> reading system, do it) but are rather stored outside the text (eg, on
> a server), then the simplicity of JSON, as well as its wide usage in
> different tools, becomes a big plus.

I absolutely agree. JSON is going to be an extremely common interchange
and wire format.

> The beauty of OA is that it defines an abstract model, and the
> serialization is well separated. That is a major feature to embrace
> and showing/documenting different serializations is a major asset..

Agreed.

> (Thanks to Doug for having started this...)

And thank you for giving me the opportunity to make my proposal more
coherent, and for improving my crappy code.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Developer Relations Lead
Project Coordinator for SVG, WebApps, Touch Events, and Audio