Re: May a Specific Resource be object of the oa:hasScope relationship ?

Hi Lutz :)

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Lutz Suhrbier <l.suhrbier@bgbm.org> wrote:
> Only regarding choices, I understood that at maximum one of the specific
> resources can be selected by the client application. Your definition below
> sounds like it may be more than one ?

On a semantic level they all apply, but the importance is that you
only have to display one of them.  For example, it's true that the
English version and the French version of a comment both apply to the
target, but you only need to show one of them to the user as they have
equivalent content.

> As in my use case, all SpTargets must be applied, and also all SpBodies must
> be applied as well, the Composite appears to be the right concept to express
> this.

Yes, but semantically the body composite applies to the target
composite. You need to have all of the resources in each composite in
order for the annotation to make sense.
>From the spec:  "A Composite is a set of resources that are all
required for an Annotation to be correctly interpreted."

So the body composite is a set of resources that, as a set, annotates
the target.

> What's about the interpretation of oa:hasContext related to a SpTarget
> within SpBodies in general, and within SpBodies in a Composite in
> particular.

There isn't any special interpretation of hasScope for when the
subject and/or object also have roles in particular annotations.

The, admittedly quite fuzzy and intentionally so, description from the
spec is that hasScope is "... to capture the context in which it was
made, in terms of the resources that the annotator was viewing or
using at the time" and that it does not make the relationship
expressed by the annotation valid only with the resources that were
being viewed.

So if you have an image with hasScope to a web page as the target.
And the comment is "I like this image", that just says that the image
appears within the page, and that you like the image, not that you
like (the image in the page).

> the image specified in the SpTarget must be seen by the client application
> in the context of the web page.

The spec says:
"This does NOT imply an assertion that the annotation is only valid
for the image in the context of that page, it just records that the
page was being viewed."
(caps added for emphasis)

Which definitely could be clearer, of course.

> If I related now a Body to a SpTarget, than it would mean that
> the content of that body must be seen within the context of that SpTarget,
> or not ?

Thus, no :(

Hope that ... sort of ... helps, even if it doesn't solve the problem?

Rob