Re: May a Specific Resource be object of the oa:hasScope relationship ?

Hi,

I'm confused why oa:Composite doesn't work then. The composite
resource is the union of all of the specific bodies, so no individual
specific body would be applied to your targets in this case.

Regards,

Jacob

Jacob Jett
Visiting Project Coordinator
Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship
The Graduate School of Library and Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, MC-493, Champaign, IL 61820-6211 USA
(217) 244-2164
jjett2@illinois.edu

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Lutz Suhrbier <l.suhrbier@bgbm.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I expected, the hasScope property as an adequate means covering exactly
> those relationships, considering it like a kind of "if"-clause (if context
> then apply body). Obviously, I misinterpreted that property.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not see any other options in the current spec to express
> that use case.
> So, looks like either I apply this in my domain specific way but OA
> unconformant way, or I do have to invent my own "body language" in terms of
> a dataset, defining a list of XPath expression - value pairs and let clients
> apply that list to the source document. Hmm, would be also highly domain
> specific and .... bad news.
>
> May be, does anybody have an idea to make our use case conformant with OA
> 1.0 ?
>
> Lutz
>

>> You would need to mint multiple annotations in order to have "aaa"
>> apply only to doc#/a and "bbb" apply only to doc#/b.
>>
>> You could have multiple bodies, but then each of aaa and bbb would
>> apply separately to /a and /b.
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Lutz Suhrbier <l.suhrbier@bgbm.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Paolo,
>>>
>>> Hi Lutz,
>>> I am not sure I understand completely what you are doing as I see only an
>>> abstract example.
>>>
>>> I would probably use a SpecificResource
>>> http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/specific.html#Specific
>>> in combination with a FragmentSelector
>>> http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/specific.html#FragmentSelector
>>> therefore I would use a oa:hasSource rather than oa:hasScope.
>>>
>>> Oh yes, I overlooked  the possibility of using XPointer as fragment
>>> selector. I am currently not quite sure if it is allowed to be used with
>>> URNs too(we can not use URLs to identify data records in or use case),
>>> but
>>> at a first glance, it looks that the standard does not forbid that. So, I
>>> don't need to define a XPath Selector anymore. Good News.
>>>

>>> A typical use of oa:hasScope is when you are annotating an image (with a
>>> URI) displaying in a webpage.
>>> The oa:hasSource is the image, the selector is for instance a
>>> oa:SvgSelector
>>> and the oa:hasScope is the webpage.
>>>
>>> Hmm, I know that my use case is not quite typical as all recent
>>> discussions
>>> went around that image in a web page example. That's why I am asking to
>>> the
>>> list, if it would be "forbidden" to use oa:hasScope in the way I
>>> described ?
>>> So, can I use oa:hasScope within a Specific Body  to point at the
>>> (resolvable)URI of a Specific Target, which defines somehow the context
>>> in
>>> which the scoped body content should be seen by a client (application) ?
>>>
>>> May be a short example:
>>> Lets have a XML-document urn:uuid:doc01 as source. In my annotation I
>>> 2 Specific Targets aggregated in a Composite,