Re: Recording geolocation of the annotation (where the annotation has been created)

yes, prov:atLocation can be associated with an entity (such as an
annotation), an agent (person) or an activity ("annotating"). It can
also be used to qualify any of the expanded relations, prov:Generation
, prov:Start , prov:Invalidation , prov:End , prov:Usage.

So perhaps the question is, what is it that "have" this location? It
sounds like Paolo wants to associate it with the generation, which I
think make sense, because a generation event is a one-off, while the
agent who made the annotation could move around and still be the same
agent (according to OA use), and an annotation would be a more
abstract concept that don't normally live in a physical location.

Then in PROV-O:

<annotation> a oa:Annotation ;
    prov:qualifiedGeneration [
        prov:atLocation <geolocation>
    ] ;

In PAV we have the shortcut pav:createdAt for this relation.

The alternative, that Robert talks about, also makes sense, but you
are then implying something more about the 'annotation' activity:

<annotation> a oa:Annotatoin ;
    prov:wasGeneratedBy [
        prov:atLocation <geolocation>
    ] .

This requires the generating activity to always be at the same
location - let's say the activity is the Google Maps Streetview car -
each individual picture is taken at different locations. With putting
atLocation on the Generation there is no problem - the activity does
not have to be place-bound, but then each generation is.   In the
approach right above, the activity would have to be limited to "Taking
this picture" rather than "Mapping Manchester" - forcing it to be much
more fine-grained.

So the most flexible option would be to put it on the generation - but
if you know the activity did not 'move', and you perhaps also want to
say something else about the activity (such as what other entities it
used or which agents where involved) - then putting the location on
the activity makes more sense.

I don't think there is a need for an oa:madeAtLocation kind of
property - there would be more pressing provenance attributions that
should be thought of first - and I would prefer for OA to rather point
to existing models like PROV and PAV.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science