Re: New Draft comments: Specific Resources

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Paolo Ciccarese
<paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com> wrote:

> And once the fragment has been selected it is possible to style it.
> I am not sure I can imagine a case where things are not in that order.
> But I am ready to revise my position if a use case comes up.
>
> Stian, do you have a use case in mind that motivates splitting out the
> styling?

Note - this is all made-up stuff, I don't have a real use case myself!

I agree on the general order for the selectors.

There could be edge-cases where it's difficult to determine if
something is a state, fragment or style - it was mentioned 3d-rotation
of a molecule in one of the plenaries. You would want the HTTP state
to select the JMol mime type first (a CSV-like textual molecule
description) - but then you would want to also have a state for saying
you want to render that in 3d - is that style/rendering or state?

Positioning of the 3d model could be considered either as a state (how
to position the model before selecting a subfragment), a fragment
(it's a kind of selection) or a style (how to render it).  Here the
order gets quite muffled and would be more likely domain/application
specific between the different subclasses of state/fragment/style;
rather than follow the simple flow we present.

There could also be styles that don't apply to either the body nor
target resource - but to the annotation itself. For instance if you
have different oa:Comment you could imagine each of them having a
different background colour, or a post-it-note being shown as a circle
instead of a square. This could apply to the oa:Annotation and not the
body - as you also want the background to cover how you show the
provenance of the annotation etc - which are all attached to the
oa:Annotation.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science