Re: New Draft comments: Specific Resources

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:

> 1. Positioning of Rendering
> Does Rendering really fit a section on Specific Resources? States and
> Selectors are about restricting the "extent" of a resource being annotated.
> But Styles seem quite different beasts. This is in fact quite explicit in
> Fig 3.1.1 that positions "Specific Resource before styling. Bar comment 11,
> there's also the quite puzzling fact that oa:styledBy is attached to an
> Annotation resource, not to a specific body or target.
> So I'd suggest to move Styles in their own module. *Or* to label the module
> as "Specifiers". Indeed, for a reason that I'm entirely grasping,
> "specifiers" include more than what is needed to produce Specific Resources;
> that could have a nice effect of fitting better the entire module as it is
> defined now.

We discussed this in Boston I think - the thing is that styling could
have more or less semantic meaning depending on the annotation - for
instance an annotation tool could let the user draw on a resource, and
then in an annotation body the user might say "The circled part is
important for the area coloured blue" (where the two areas are two
specific resources using svg shape selectors, with colouring added by
style) . Hence to understand the annotation it is best to apply the
styles.

However I agree in that styles do not make the resource "more
specific" - it is more of a kind of modularity. So your suggestion is
to simply rename the chapter to "Specifiers" and keep the classname
oa:SpecificResource? (as styles are attached to annotation) I can +1
that.

> Fig 3.1.1 and many sentences in the text around it (e.g., "then a Selector
> describes", "this chain") hint that there is a mandatory flow of
> state-selector-style.

Agreed - this text should be softened to highlight that this is the
preferred way to interpret the specific resource and styles for
traditional rendering, but that agents MAY choose to interpret the
specifiers differently. Section 3.4 on styles does also not preclude
styling that is not about the body or target - so it might be worth
breaking the diagram in two by doing the last rendering/styling step
separately from the annotation instead.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science