Re: Style Issue

I've been aware of this thread over the winter break, but I haven't replied yet since I was busy with non-work stuff. I'll try not to duplicate anything else mentioned on the thread. Please forgive me if I do.

Instead of directly going into a lot of pros and cons, I'll outline what we're doing in the Shelley-Godwin Archive (SGA) through shared canvas with respect to style. Whatever we decide on style here will need to carry over to what we're doing with the SGA.

Because we're working with handwritten documents and we don't have bottomless pits of money, we don't have bounding boxes for the transcriptions. This breaks one of the basic principles of shared canvas (everything maps onto the canvas via bounding shapes), but we're working around that by creating a text-oriented zone that works in terms of textual coordinates. *much hand waving...*

We translate each section of the transcription into an annotation with a TextOffsetSelector body mapping the range of text in the TEI to the canvas target (possibly constrained if we know which section of the canvas should receive the text). We then model each of the different pieces of markup in the TEI (currently lines, additions, deletions) as highlight annotations targeting TextOffsetSelector ranges in the TEI.

For example, we might have the following simplified annotations:

_:textAnnotation1 a sc:ContentAnnotation, oa:Annotation ;
  oa:hasBody _:text1 ;
  oa:hasTarget _:spCanvas1 .

_:text1 a oa:SpecificResource ;
  oa:hasSource <teiFile> ;
  oa:hasSelector _:selector1 .

_:selector1 a oax:TextOffsetSelector ;
  oax:begin "..." ;
  oax:end "..." .

_:structuredAnnotation1 a oa:Annotation, oax:Highlight, sga:AdditionAnnotation ;
  oa:hasTarget _:textTarget1 .

_:textTarget1 a oa:SpecificResource ;
  oa:hasSource <teiFile> ;
  oa:hasStyle _:cssStyle ;
  oa:hasSelector _:selector2 .

_:cssStyle a oa:Style, cnt:ContentAsText ;
  cnt:chars "vertical-align: super;"
  dc:format "text/css" .

_:selector2 a oax:TextOffsetSelector ;
  oax:begin "..." ;
  oax:end "..." .

It's easy to process all of this into a set of spans that combine all of the style information from any overlapping annotations. I've put a screenshot of our current (alpha) viewer at http://mith.umd.edu/tmp/sga-shared-canvas-3Jan2013.png to illustrate what overlapping highlights end up looking like. The third line on the page has a deleted addition in the middle of a longer deleted section. The additions are marked as either superscript or subscript based on the CSS style added to the annotation. The strikethrough (barely visible when embedding HTML in SVG in Chrome) and bold/grey come from css classes not part of the OA/Shared Canvas RDF.

I suspect our use of style reflects a much earlier draft of the OAC specification. What would our RDF look like with the options under consideration? What additional code would we have to write to make use of the style information?

If we assume that we only attach class names to the annotation, then we can reduce the _:textTarget1 resource to the following triples (and making up the "oa:styledByClass" and "oa:styledByCSSDocument" predicates):

_:textTarget1 a oa:SpecificResource ;
  oa:hasSource <teiFile> ;
  oa:styledByClass "foo" ;
  oa:styledByCSSDocument <referenceToCSSDocument> ;
  oa:hasSelector _:selector2 .

Of course, we have to record the CSS somewhere that defines what is applied for the class, and we have to provide a CSS parser so that we can extract only the CSS that applies to this annotation based on class. Each annotation could reference a different stylesheet defining their class. This is an extra layer that we can work with, but it adds more code that we will require users download to their browser before they can view our project.

If we simply dump the CSS rules and classes into the HTML as-is, then we risk collisions with application stylesheets. The annotations are independent of the implementation of the client application used to visualize them, so we can't assume that they can share the same stylesheets any more than we can assume that two different annotations will share the same stylesheets.

The OA draft already assumes that we'll have an RDF/XML parser available (which we don't - we're using RDF/JSON so we don't have to load an additional JavaScript library). Do we also need to assume a CSS parser?

-- Jim