Re: Floating Quotable Citations (FQC)

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM, David Cuenca <dacuetu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe as a clarification I should add a possible workflow:
> 1) a citation is added to wikipedia pointing to a specific text fragment
> of a book (a book doesn't exist in digital format)
> 2) years pass (5? 10? 30? 100?), the book goes into public domain
> 3) the book is scanned and uploaded to Wikisource
> 4) some volunteers proofread the ocr, add format, split the text into
> chapters and create the digital version of the book
> 5) the original citation now points to the newly created digital text and
> it can be seen in its original context
>
> I hope that explains why the extra effort needed.

I think you're trying to do too much.  The standard in the paper world is a
page number or range of page numbers (of a specific edition, I might add).
 The page boundaries are preserved in the scanning process and certainly
can be preserved in the OCR and post-processing.  The citation might not be
letter accurate, but it will be as accurate as the original paper-world
citation.

One way people tighten the citation up is to quote a passage.  In that
case, the quote can be matched against the newly OCR'd text.

You're reaching for goal that may not be achievable.  I'd suggest
simplifying.

Tom