Re: Floating Quotable Citations (FQC)

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing the approach!  In Open Annotation terms, it would
be a Selector along the lines of:

_:selector a mw:FQCSelector ;
  mw:fqc "lttia" ;
  mw:start "0,1,5" ;
  mw:end "0,1,0" .

However I'd encourage you to *not* try to do this as a URI Fragment,
as you would be competing with the official specifications of what a
Fragment component of HTML, plain text, XML and PDF resources means.
Within Media Wiki and other conforming implementations you can, of
course, use the query approach.

Some other issues off the top of my head:

* It's hard to determine paragraphs, sentences and words.
-- Paragraphs could be <p>, or <div>, but they might not be.  Perhaps
just <br/><br/> is used to separate the paragraphs.
And that's just HTML, let alone other textual resources.
-- Sentences:  Mr. J. Smith of the U.S.A. took $1.45 from his pocket
... and spent it.   1 sentence or 10?
-- Words: Word splitting is extremely hard in eastern languages.

* We stuck with character counting, but even then it's tricky with
normalization routines.  &amp;  -- 1 character or 5?
You have the same issue with length as well.

Hope that helps!

Rob