Re: Semantic Tags (was several threads)

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes
<soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Raphaël Troncy
> <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr> wrote:
>> Perhaps I will say something that you have already discussed at large, but
>> the more I think, and the more I'm under the impression that you want to
>> re-invent ctag:Tag with oa:SemanticTag. Am I wrong?
>
> I don't think you are wrong, but I would call it more like "Perform
> ctag functionality within the common frame work of Open Annotation
> Model."

Yes, exactly as Stian says :)  There have been many, many tagging
ontologies over the years -- it's such a simple concept that people
roll their own rather than reuse existing ones.  Tagging is a use case
for Open Annotation, especially as it's an easy one to fulfill... with
this one semantic tag/document URI exception!

> Using most ctag terms:
> <target1> ctag:tagged <anno1> .
> <anno1> a ctag:Tag, ctag:AuthorTag ;
>     ctag:means <term1> ;
>     ctab:label "term1" ;
>     ctag:taggingDate "2013-01-28T12:00:00Z" .

Yep.  And to cut to the bottom...

> Note above that a ctag:Tag is not equivalent with a oa:SemanticTag -
> as the ctag:Tag represents that particular tagging rather than the tag
> itself. Our semantic tag is what is in the end of ctag:means, which is
> untyped in ctag.

Yes. Our SemanticTag class would go on <term1> in the example above.
A mapping document, or wiki section, would go a long way towards
making the spec more usable I think.  This would be good for
CommonTag, Annotea, various annotation APIs such as flickr, and so
forth.

I think that there's now general consensus about everything other than
the literal body case, which as per the wiki page, really seems
unsolvable other than additional implementer experience.    So a last
once over the spec and it'll replace the current version in core later
today :)

Thank you *everyone* for all of your efforts in getting us to the
stage we're at now.  It's very rare that I have heard any
specification called "beautiful" and it would not be were it not for
your thoroughness and constructive criticism. Paolo and I greatly
appreciate it, and look forwards to continuing to work closely and
collaboratively towards additional documentation including tutorials,
the cookbook, mappings as above and so forth.

Rob