Re: Pundit and Open Annotation

Hi James and Robert, thanks for your prompt answers. Will try to fuel
the discussion into a single reply, with a bit of copy/paste.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It's actually easier than that... the specifications of fragments for
>>> HTML and XHTML don't allow XPointers.

> I don't think it should be a subclass of FragmentSelector as any
> system that tried to treat it as a FragmentSelector would end up doing
> the wrong thing.  Agreed that the structure fits well, so maybe just
> duplicating it is the right way forwards?

Originally i wanted to ask why the spec says that xpointers are not
able to describe/catch arbitrary part of an HTML document, since, as
far as i know, they are actually able to. I agree that xpointers are
not the official fragments semantic for HTML documents, so we will
avoid using them directly into browsers.

The discussion evolved to "how can we use xpointers and be
spec-compliant", and on this topic i have another question: can't we
use the xpointer spec for the fragment part and specify an explicit
dcterms:conformsTo? Isnt this mechanism supposed to fill exactly this
use case (read: tell the consumer how to interpret the fragment
semantic)?

At least, reading the spec i thought this was conformsTo's goal!

> We could solve this issue with a slight wording change in the
> specification to clarify what the SVG viewport means in SvgSelector.
>
> If the viewport is "0 0 100 100" which should be scaled to the size of
> the target image (with potentially different ratios for height and
> width), then the coordinates in the SVG are essentially percentages.

This is a clever solution!! Will have to dig into SVG a bit more, but
sounds like it covers perfectly my original needs.

> The question of sets of annotations has come up in the past, but we
> haven't felt it appropriate to try and specify anything. The issues
> are:
> * Requirements -- we don't have a good feel for all of the
> requirements for collections of annotations. That could be solved if
> people are willing to work on it, of course :)
> [ ... ]

We would be happy to join the discussion and be of help there, if needed!

Thanks again for your expert answers, on the other topics too.

Together with Christian, we're going to iron out the last details,
implement the solutions and write a document with the full model laid
out. Then we will more than happy to write some best practice doc, use
case, examples or anything you think might be of help to the
community.

Simone