Re: Style

Apologies for being late to the party on this.

In the manuscript domain, when identifying a region of interest on a page
for viewing by users, it is frequently necessary to prefer certain colors
over others, not because a given color indicates a different semantics but
because it would otherwise be very difficult to see exactly what is being
selected as a specific target, given the ink used to produce a feature of
interest. Many pages are best viewed using a small number of different
colors for identifying specific targets simply because of the variety of
inks used on the page.

Without style specifications such as color, in many cases in the manuscript
domain, a user will find it unduly difficult to see the targets of an
annotation in a viewer. To ensure fundamental semantics (the targets and
bodies) are effectively communicated to users in this domain (and others, I
suspect), I believe it necessary to include some style elements. I think
this argues for inclusion of style in the core specification. If it ends up
in the extension spec instead, so be it.

-Shannon