Re: F2F Decision: Multiple Resources - closing Set?

Hi Antoine,

The way I imagine the difference between a set and several bodies is
somewhat like how I conceptualize the difference between a collection and a
novel. If my collection is a barrel of apples and each apple is a body of
an annotation. I can take away individual bodies without damaging the
overall semantics of the annotation, much like I can eat an apple from my
barrel and yet still have a barrel of apples (since there are still apples
in it). For the case of the set, the annotation bodies (or targets) form an
integrated / composite resource which is doing the annotation (or being
annotated). If even one of the set members is missing then the semantics of
the annotation are radically altered, much like if I tear out a page from
my novel, its narrative is damaged if not destroyed.

As an aside this is also why I don't believe exhibits to be good examples
of collections, their narratives (and semantics) are altered if members are
gained or lost.

Going back to annotations, I think one thing to realize is that the
multiple individual targets and bodies case is something of a built in
cheat. What is probably a best practice is to use individual annotations
for individual targets and/or bodies (although this causes the creation of
redundant triples). We should use oa:Choice when we mean that the targets
or bodies are in a XOR relationship to one another and, we should use
oa:Set when the targets or bodies are in an AND relationship to one
another. (IMO, oa:Composite, rather than oa:Set, might be a more accurate
description since we're making a new resource from multiple other
resources, that will semantically speaking, be more than the sum of its
parts.)

Another way to consider individual bodies and targets is that the
annotation node is putting them into a simple OR relationship to one
another, e.g., < Body1> OR <Body2> annotates <Target1> OR <Target2>.
Something to think about is whether or not that adds potentially
undesirable semantics to oa:Annotation.

Regards,

Jacob