From: Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@theodi.org>
Date: 12/05/2017 16:44 (GMT+00:00)
To: public-openactive@w3.org
Subject: Activity List Discussion Summary

Hi,

This is the second of the summaries from our hangout this week. In the second half of the call we reviewed the progress and plans around developing our shared activity list.

This call was our first chance to discuss the initial progress of developing the list, lead by Kim, Becky and Jade. The ongoing, working draft version is at [1].

We discussed:

* requirements for the list, e.g. its use in supporting searching and browsing for opportunities, integrating data across platforms and in reporting. There's a clear need to balance these requirements: the list needs to support searching by end-users, but data integration is also an important enabler for openactive as a whole

* The top terms of the list. The key decision was to remove the top-level split between Sports and Physical Activities, if these are retained they will be handled as collections. This reduces the list to 2 levels, not 3

* Whether to have a single or multiple levels in the hierarchy. I think the consensus, based on our previous discussions is to have multiple levels, but also note we need to include, e.g. in the primer, some notes about how the list can be used, to support searching

* Need for more detailed review of some terms, including their labelling, descriptions, etc

* Focusing on the terms and their metadata before working further on collections

* Using trademarks as an indicator for including branded programmes in the list. It's one useful indicator of visibility to participants

* That the list may need review by additional groups. Jade has reached out to UK Active for input.

* That the list should include unique identifiers to help with versioning

* That the term labels will be formatted for display to users.

The key debate was around the process for moving forward. There were some different views about the best way forward, e.g:

* just publish the list, after some further review by the group
* inviting further review and feedback from specific groups before publishing more widely

The balancing act here is fulfilling immediate needs of developers who are looking to use a list, whilst ensuring that it is reasonably coherent. But without spending a huge amount of time trying to create a perfect list.

Based on the discussion, I think that the way forward is to:

* share some editorial guidance, that will help us draft the list and inform its development
* set ourselves a target date for publishing a first version
* work iteratively, aiming to:
 * refine the list within the group, over the next few weeks
 * then invite comment and feedback, within a clear time window, from a wider group (to be determined)
* ensure that it is clear to everyone, in the group and beyond, how and when feedback can be provided, and what type of feedback we are looking for
* continue to work within the Google spreadsheet for now, to collate feedback
* review the list again in our next call, with feedback on the document in the meantime

There is an early draft of an editorial guide at [2].

Please feel free to add comments to the draft activity list spreadsheet.

Cheers,

L.

[1]. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yWpVXGr91NiqWuCr7EBdVI2uhzxgN3Qw-oIKNMuhTeQ/edit#gid=735540001
[2]. https://docs.google.com/document/d/15-bSByBhoIdckmlh6Dz3J27xQv7OeTYR0qv-OZh_Mls/edit#

--
Leigh Dodds, Senior Consultant, theODI.org
@ldodds

GLL is a charitable social enterprise. Better is brought to you by GLL.

[GLL - Better for everyone]      [cid:socialffa6e8]         [Better - the feel good place]

We are the UK's largest leisure charitable social enterprise. We are a staff-owned leisure trust and work in partnership with councils and other partners, managing leisure centres, sports facilities, libraries, day spas and children's centres across the UK, under our consumer brand 'Better'. Click here<http://www.gll.org/> to find out more about us.

'GLL' and 'Better' are registered trademarks and trading names of GLL (Greenwich Leisure Limited), a charitable social enterprise and registered society under the Co-operative & Community Benefit & Societies Act 2014 registration no. 27793R. Registered office: Middlegate House, The Royal Arsenal, London, SE18 6SX. Inland Revenue Charity no:  XR43398.

This email and its contents, together with any attachments, are CONFIDENTIAL to the sender and the intended recipient(s) and must not be copied or shared without the sender's permission. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments (if any), you must delete this email and any attachments and take no action based upon them, nor must you copy them or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.