Re: [W3C] Terminology module: next telco (July)

Dear Fahad, dear Thierry, dear all,

thanks for this discussion. In any case, the only way to keep closed
ISO/TC-internal discussions synchronized with open standardization
processes is to define a stable interface, preferrably not the ISO standard
itself (because it is proprietary, and drafts are not to be circulated),
but accompanying documentation (say, XML schemata as under
https://www.tbxinfo.net/tbx-downloads/iso-24633-resources/), along with an
open source reference converter to generate the agreed-upon RDF
representation (e.g., as Turtle or JSON-LD serialization) from TBX XML
data. This reference converter (and the data structures it produces) can
then be developed in a joint fashion. In this way, ISO rights are preserved
(neither converter nor schema need to quote from the standard), and ISO
definitions remain untouched (and can just be applied to the different RDF
serializations).

On the other hand, in my understanding, any attempt of RDF modelling from
scratch *within ISO/TC 37/SC 3* would effectively rule out the
participation of the wider community because of ISO regulations on
information sharing. What could work instead -- if this is the goal, indeed
-- would be to develop an RDF model from scratch outside ISO/TC 37/SC 3
(but, optionally, under inclusion of ISO/TC 37/SC 3 members, be it as
proposers, contributors or observers), and then to acknowledge this as
(part of) an ISO standard in a subsequent step. The difference is that the
initiative does not formally lie within ISO TCs. That was the way of
earlier ISO standards (e.g., https://www.w3.org/2011/07/wspas-pr.html or
https://www.oasis-open.org/2017/02/21/iso-iec-jtc-1-approves-oasis-odata-standard-for-open-data-exchange/),
and unless we hear otherwise from ISO, that seems to be the only way for an
open community to formally contribute to or collaborate with this TBX-RDF
initiative.

Another way out would be a formal agreement between ISO and, say, W3C on
joint standard development, but as far as I know, W3C legal form doesn't
meet ISO requirements for potential contract partners. (W3C has been
undergoing some restructuring lately, so I am not 100% sure on that point,
but that was the situation in the past. But even then, it is not clear what
this means for W3C Community Groups, because these are part of the W3C
ecosystem, but not the W3C as an institution.)

BTW: As there are several TBX-to-RDF converters around, already, I think
the community and downstream applications would greatly benefit from not
starting RDF modelling from scratch all over again, or, at least, not
behind closed doors, but to involve current providers and users of such
data and converters to maximize impact and maintain interoperability. If
this is really the goal, it can be much more easily achieved in an open
community where developers and users can just lurk and contribute as
needed, rather than in a closed setting in which individual experts need to
be identified first, and then be formally invited on demand.

Just my 2ct,
Christian

Am Mo., 19. Juni 2023 um 21:29 Uhr schrieb Fahad Khan <fahad.khan@ilc.cnr.it