Re: ISO 639 URIs

Hi Christian, hi all,

Wouldn’t it be nice if the lexvo.org domain was managed by a group of persons from the LLOD area to provide linked data on the languages that would be an aggregation of all the datasets you mentioned, along with all “sameAs” relations ?

I think of a semi-automatic process (a la DBnary) that will update its data from CSVs and other already available linked datasets every month or so and provide an always up to date registry ?

Moreover, the LOC linked data is quite poor compared to what lexvo had (for instance, the English language names “variants” are only available in English, French and German.

This solution will involve a dedicated team of maintainers (on the long run) and a rather small infrastructure to provide the data (which could be simply served from static files + content negotiation). It assumes that the generation of URIs and accompanying data can be made entirely automatically (which may not be the case if there are name clashes among these). It also assumes that the different dataset licences allows for it (which I am unsure regarding SIL…).

I also think that such an alternate dataset may be necessary for other persons who will need to have more information attached to the language they deal with (e.g. date annotations for Historical languages, geographical (space/time) annotation for all languages, etc.).

Regards,

Gilles,