Re: doubt about "Synset / Concept" class

On May 8, 2013, at 11:56 AM, Philipp Cimiano wrote:

> Treating skos:Concept and owl:Class as different types of meaning seems too subtle for people who want to use the model in practice as they will always wonder which is the right property to use.

Agreed.

> [...]
>>>
>>> This leads to two variation on the model:
>>>
>>> Model 1. (Same property)
>>>
>>> With synsets
>>>
>>> :corn --ontolex:sense-> :corn_sense1 --ontolex:means-> wordnet:corn_n_xxx --ontolex:conceptualizes-> fao:Corn (a skos:Concept)
>>> :corn --ontolex:sense-> :corn_sense1 --ontolex:means-> wordnet:corn_n_xxx --ontolex:conceptualizes-> dbpedia:Corn (a owl:Class)
>>>
>>> Without synsets
>>>
>>> :corn --ontolex:sense-> :corn_sense1 --ontolex:reference-> fao:Corn (a skos:Concept)
>>> :corn --ontolex:sense-> :corn_sense1 --ontolex:reference-> dbpedia:Corn (a owl:Class)
>>>
>>> Model 2. (Different property)
>>>
>>> With synsets
>>>
>>> :corn --ontolex:sense-> :corn_sense1 --ontolex:means-> wordnet:corn_n_xxx --skos:exactMatch-> fao:Corn (a skos:Concept)
>>> :corn --ontolex:sense-> :corn_sense1 --ontolex:means-> wordnet:corn_n_xxx --ontolex:conceptualizes-> dbpedia:Corn (a owl:Class)
>>>
>>> Without synsets
>>>
>>> :corn --ontolex:sense-> :corn_sense1 --ontolex:means-> fao:Corn (a skos:Concept)
>>> :corn --ontolex:sense-> :corn_sense1 --ontolex:reference-> dbpedia:Corn (a owl:Class)
>>>
>>> With further linking valid of
>>>
>>> fao:Corn --ontolex:conceptualizes-> dbpedia:Corn
>>>

>>> I prefer model two as it makes a clearer distinction between terminologies and ontologies, doesn't require linking two SKOS concepts with an ontolex property (which we should avoid as it is not our job to fix SKOS) and allows us to define a natural property for linking terminologies to ontologies.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John
>>>

>>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Jorge Gracia <jgracia@fi.upm.es> wrote:
>>> Dear Philipp, all
>>>
>>> I am not able to join the telco today, sorry. But let me to formulate
>>> a quick question about John's model
>>> http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/File:John-modelling.png);
>>> maybe you can treat it today.
>>> Following the previous discussions I can understand the inclusion of
>>> the new class "Synset / Concept". My doubt is: despite the fact that
>>> skos concepts could be represented with this new class, can we
>>> alternatively continuing treating skos concepts (of external skos
>>> ontologies) as "ontology entities"? (as in the IFLA example presented
>>> last week). For me this option is very natural, fully compliant with
>>> R3 "semantics by reference" and we shouldn't lose it.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Jorge

>>> --
>>> Jorge Gracia, PhD
>>> Ontology Engineering Group
>>> Artificial Intelligence Department
>>> Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
>>> http://delicias.dia.fi.upm.es/~jgracia/
>>>

> --
> Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano
> Semantic Computing Group
> Excellence Cluster - Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC)

Alessandro Oltramari
Research Associate
Psychology Department
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15213
Tel.:  +1-412-268-6284
Mobile: +1-412-689-1514
Fax.: +1-412-268-2798
Homepage: http://fms.psy.cmu.edu/member/aoltrama
Twitter: oltramale
"There’s no such thing as the unknown– only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood.” (Capt. James Tiberius Kirk)