Re: Next Ontolex Meeting, tomorrow, Feb 22, 12:00

Hi,

In lemon we have previously said that lexica are monolingual to avoid
having to repeat the language for each entry. Also I think there might be a
bit of an error here

:lexicon lemon:entry :left ;
     lemon:language "en" .

Is the same as:

:lexicon lemon:entry :left .
:lexicon lemon:language "en" .

I guess you meant to put the language on the entry?

I did find something that really puzzled me:

:left upper lobe posterior segment artery:decomposition (
    [ lemon:element :artery ]
    [ lemon:element :left upper lobe artery ]
    [ lemon:element :posterior segment artery ] ) .

According to the existing *lemon* documentation we use decomposition to
indicate tokenization or decompounding... hence you are saying the
tokenization of "left upper lobe posterior segment arterty" is
["artery","left upper lobe artery","posterior segment artery"]. I'm pretty
sure what you mean to use is the subterm property as we have already
discussed several times.

However I am still puzzled as to what you are attempting to represent in
the lexicon. These terms have clear subclass or partOf relations that can
be represented in the ontology, which is clearly of use. However the
lexical relationships are fairly trivial and could be easily constructed by
examining the tokenization of each of these terms. I guess you want to
represent that

X Y artery = X artery + Y artery

On the lexical layer, this is trivial... we need only compare the lexical
entries of the tokens to establish this. A single property makes this more
explicit (and hence easier to query), but I don't feel there would be any
need for extra modelling beyond the standard syntactic analysis of lexical
entries, as such relationships are easy to infer.

On the ontological layer, we have that XYArtery = XArtery ∏ YArtery, which
can be represented in OWL

My only guess is that you want to do some sense level mapping X Y artery
uses the words "X" exactly as "X artery" does (i.e., with the same sense)
and "Y" exactly as "Y artery" does. For this the modelling would be complex
and I don't clearly see the application, perhaps you could elucidate?

Regards,
John