Von: Michael Steidl (NIT) <mwsteidl@newsit.biz>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 16. Jänner 2020 18:22
An: public-odrl@w3.org
Betreff: Profile BP: section about what a profile may ignore added, needs
discussions

Hi all,

I’ve added a section about what the ODRL Core Profile does not define [1]
and what (therefore) may be ignored by a profile.

This action is based on this note of the last teleconference on 2 December
2019:

… agreed to add a new section (checklist) indicating which parts of the ODRL
Core is not supported (or ignored) by the community Profile.

(… and additional notes in my own notepad)

Writing this section was really hard work and therefore I ask all of you to
review it and to comment on it.

My issues were/are:

*	What exactly is part of a profile, in particular of the ODRL Core
Profile.
The ODRL Profile Purpose [2] talks only about the use of the ODRL Core
Vocabulary and not about the ODRL Information Model.
BUT: the Core Vocabulary uses OWL and OWL does not support the native
definition of the cardinality of properties – by OWL means it cannot be
defined that the Rule Class MUST have an action property.
So if the ODRL Core Profile is only the Core Vocabulary nothing is a MUST,
nothing mandatory – and almost every detail, every term can be ignored.
*	Note 1: the term ODRL Core Profile is defined in [3], defining only
the Core Vocabulary as included.
*	Note 2: the draft of a W3C Profile Vocabulary for ODRL [4] in the
Profile-BP includes the “The normative W3C ODRL Information Model”
*	My language is leaning towards including the Information Model.
*	The ODRL Information Model document does not define all details of
ODRL, some missing specification can be inferred from the definition of
terms in the ODRL Core Vocabulary [5] …
*	… and the worst case of that is the definition of the use of Rule
(sub)Classes in a Policy. See the Issue #9 [6] raised at Github: The
Information Model does not define all details, but the Core Vocabulary
defines these missing details – but the definitions are not fully in sync,
even contradicting, the ODRL Recommendation is running in circles.
The result: it looks like impossible to define a usable subclass of Rule by
a Profile, an action granted for ODRL Profiles.
*	I also noticed other missing specifications
- no specs of a LeftOperand Class
- no specs of an Operator Class
- no specs of a RightOperand Class
… in the Information Model, but having a specification in the Core
Vocabulary. (Note: some classes are defined in the Information Model, others
not. If a user searches for LeftOperand Class in the document s*he will find
it only as type of properties.)
*	Design of my added section:
Its title follows the title of the section above it (“What an ODRL Profile
can define”) with “What the ODRL Core Profile does not define” – maybe not
the ultimate one.
The introduction outlines the roles of Profiles and the special role of the
Core Profile. And it explains the use of the term “ignore” in the following
subsection.
The subsection “What may be ignored, and what not” provides this
“checklist”, mentioned in the notes of the call.
The tricky part of this section was for me to find what exactly is
mandatory: the Information Model uses a MUST for properties, but also the
language “ODRL Validator MUST support …” – I considered both as expressing a
mandatory requirement.
Some of the bullets in this section discuss that a specific part of a
specification is mandatory another part not – and what may be ignored in
this context.
All parts of the Information Model without any mandatory requirement are not
covered by the bullets, I hope the header of this subsection provides a
clear generic guideline for ignoring things.

I’m looking forward to your comments,

Michael

[1]  <https://w3c.github.io/odrl/profile-bp/#outofscope>
https://w3c.github.io/odrl/profile-bp/#outofscope