Re: ODRL target/Dublin Core license/rights

On 29 Jul 2013, at 00:34, Mo McRoberts <mo.mcroberts@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> 2. In either case, which of dcterms:license or dcterms:rights is more applicable?
>
> dcterms:license is defined as
> A legal document giving official permission to do something with the resource.?
>
> Meanwhile, dcterms:rights is defined as
> Typically, rights information includes a statement about various property rights associated with the resource, including intellectual property rights.?

Given these definitions, I would say dct:license is not appropriate, and dct:rights is narrower than what we really want.

Since ODRL is a _policy_ language, we now support a broader expression of rules (such as a Privacy statement)

We did provide some feedback to the W3C Media Ontology group in this respect for policy properties (over pure copyright properties) [1].

Perhaps all we can do is define/use our target property and (using SKOS) state that this is broader than dtc:rights/license?

Cheers...
Renato Iannella
Semantic Identity
http://semanticidentity.com