RE: Updated ODRL in JSON DRAFT

Ø  Has anyone implemented it?

Not yet - I think that, at least, people are waiting for it to move forward from a draft status...

Ø  The URIs needs to be updated (to match the ODRL Ontology)

OK - I did a global replace and updated the draft date (although, technically, the ODRL Ontology is still in draft, isn't it? :))

http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/work/json/

Ø  Some of the words are plural (permissions, duties, etc) and should be singular

I did this on purpose - the arrays of permissions are plural, since there can be more than one. Properties that can only ever have a single value are singular.

In JSON, unlike XML or RDF, it is a breaking change to alter the datatype of something from being singular to being an array. To take a quick example from the news world, it is fine to initially have your XML schema only allow one headline, such as

<doc>
                <headline>I read the news today</headline>
</doc>

And then later allow multiple headlines

<doc>
                <headline>I read the news today</headline>
                <headline>Oh boy</headline>
</doc>
Because the first document will still be valid according to the later schema.

However, in JSON these two documents cannot be validated by the same schema, as the datatype of headline conflicts:

{
            "headline": "I read the news today"
}

{
            "headline": ["I read the news today", "oh boy"]
}

However, you can add a property with a different name and a different datatype

{
            "headlines": ["I read the news today", "oh boy"]
}

So, to pave the way for this kind of change, I make every property that must be plural have a plural name.

Regards,

Stuart