Re: CfC to publish NFC API WD under new W3C Process

Hi there,

As Zoltan said, the focus of the new work is an API for the open web, which
enabled new and exciting use-cases on the web. This is in contrast to an
API for interacting with existing (or legacy) systems.

That said, we are not explicitly blocking people from interacting with
existing systems, au contraire - we are just not making it the driving
force behind the new spec.

The main focus is:

* An easy-to-use API for the open web, fitting in the open web security
model
* Integrate well with contemporary JS/Web API design, such as ES6
(promises, etc)
* Enable exciting new use-cases on the web using NFC technology
* Make sure the tech supported is generally supported by all NFC adapters
(ie. we don't try to support legacy/proprietary systems like MIFARE Classic)

Systems that have a different security model, like the so-called systems
applications (e.g. "native web apps" on Chrome OS and Firefox OS) or hybrid
frameworks (like Cordova) are fine to extend the API to cover all their
use-cases as long as this is not exposed to regular sites and web apps. We
are OK with adapting the API or adding extension points to the API for such
use-cases, as long as it doesn't go against the main focus.

Cheers
Kenneth