Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:53:11 -0500
From: bkardell@gmail.com
To: jrussell.smyth@gmail.com
CC: simonstl@simonstl.com; public-nextweb@w3.org
Subject: Re: Next Web Focus

On Jan 25, 2014 11:46 AM, "J. Russell Smyth" <jrussell.smyth@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2014, at 8:15 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The aims of this group are, yes focused on advocating and discussing polyfills and prollyfills - and advocacy that enables this, for significant reasons and in ways described on extensiblewebmanifesto.org.  Very key among these is that it provides an evolutionary model forward rather than allowing a browser to stymie efforts or prompting big bets on radical change which, if they fail (and many do), stall forward momentum on the current platform.  Actually, i would say the majority of work has been applying this advocacy in existing WGs to prioritize efforts in this direction as a guiding philosophy.

> It seems to me the focus of this group isn’t really the polyfills and prolyfills - rather those are the tools used experiment, find places where core expansion is valuable/necessary, and encourage and drive those critical lower level primitives into the platform itself.

It currently happens to be the case that this is where a lot of value is added because of where we are, yes.

That stated, it is part of our charter and has been since early discussions part of our desire to be a place to discuss polyfills and prollyfills and aid/establish a vibrant community around this.  I would love more.  Bring interesting ones to our attention.