When does a library become a prollyfill?, was Re: Deliverables Re: TPAC

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 08:54:57 +0100
To: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Cc: Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, public-nextweb@w3.org

On Friday, July 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> I think we are conflating two things here... Things would have to graduate to caniuse as it exists now at least it is for things with w3c drafts and I think generally at least an experimental impl by some vendor. We are talking about fills for things of all levels of proposal maturity here where they can compete a bit.
>

> For example, hitch has fills for things in the selectors level 5+ wiki, there isn't even a draft yet - and things for which there isn't even that level of w3c commit yet.
Just thinking out loud here: I  guess this raises the question as to when a library becomes a prollyfill? Does it even matter?

> There should be a place to explore that sort of thing, measure maturity, cross-browser ability and other metadata as we have discussed. If caniuse wants to offer to collab, host, etc - that could be cool, but I think we have to be clear what we are taking about here
Yeah, I'm also trying to get some clarity. I think we've started to identify and classify a few different types of applications and ways of doing these prollyfill things - which is great. It's feels like we are close to some kind of consensus.

--
Marcos Caceres