Re: <main>

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Clint Hill <clint.hill@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry - my wording was bad.
>
> I agree it's a prollyfill. I think however the "solution" is already a
> polyfill. Which is why I guess I need more opinion.

Sorry, I don't understand.  For posterity and in case anyone else is not on
the same wavelength - can you explain?  Particularly, I am suggesting that
prollyfills should always exist outside the native namespace, thus <x-main>
which is just simple x-tags stuff.  I believe/advocate/propose that all new
tag proposals should follow a Web Components/prollyfill model.  Take a look
at the arguments that have happened around <article> and <header> etc and
how they came about... Everyone has the best of intents and I believe is
acting in good faith - but clearly people misunderstand.  The real
potential argument that I can see against this is that one man's <x-main>
might not mean the same as the others as it would be based on the
prollyfill - but I think that in hitch we have some decent answers to
that.  For anyone not familliar, we made Hitch before implementers decided
to go with <x- and while the solution agreement still seemed to be
attribute based, so we do data-widget and that property contains a uri
capable of identifying not just the particular web component, but the
versioned implementation as well... Given this kind of approach you could
have something like:

<x-main data-widget="http://www.foobar.com/mywidget.js#1">

which gives you something like a namespace.   Given that much information,
there is really nothing that couldn't slowly gain traction even to the
point of being respected by screen readers/search engines early if it
gained a wide enough audience before being formalized.  In other words, if
version #6 finally had iterated enough and had both a mature draft proposal
and a lot of adoption, you could effectively submit it and people could
essentially just alias the two in their implementations...

I'd like to mention that all of this is mostly a way to get some of these
conversations that we need to have rolling:  What kinds of things should we
prollyfill - what kinds of principles go behind them, how does prollyfill
progress through to maturity and eventual submission, etc.