Re: Scope of the Extensible Web Community Group [via Extensible Web Community Group]

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> |  Browser vendors are not into it… they know about it,
> |  but they are really resistant.
>
> This has been our experience as well, predictably. I think the main issue is
> that they don't see why it's a benefit for *them*.

I was hoping I would have some time at lunch to finish up an article
with more - but I'm not sure I will, so I just want to note while we
are on this "scope" and pieces at play with how things are filled - it
isn't even necessary to limit ourselves to things that actually take
place in the browser.  Francios, Clint and I have all discussed this
already - for example - lots of things already exist that do
transpiling and pre-processing - they are popular, efficient and
actually encouraged by numerous W3C members... So it might be the case
that it is good to pull in/cooperate those people on some strategies
as well.  Just as one example - Tab's Cascading Attribute Sheets is
almost certainly plausible with preprocess/transipile -- one of the
biggest barriers to it is parsing -- writing and keeping up to date an
even "mostly" compliant CSS parser is hard work... I'm not saying it
isn't worth it to have a JS version (in fact, Tab does) but there are
plenty of systems in use by the CSS community where such a thing would
almost be an afterthought - and you would simultaneously expand the
awareness/audience and group pretty quickly via established user
bases.