Re: Scope of the Extensible Web Community Group [via Extensible Web Community Group]

On Monday, November 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com (mailto:w3c@marcosc.com)> wrote:
>

> [snip]
> > > And to make sure it's easy to write polyfills, we need to
> > > convince W3C members to add features to the languages that make creating
> > > them easy (and so we need to convince them that the time they need to get
> > > that right is well-spend time). Is that more evident now?
> >

> > It is, but I still don't think we should bug editors about this. We should bug people writing polyfills to learn Web IDL, etc. I've started writing a Learn Web IDL for Web Devs (was actually going to try to write a book about it, but it's quite time consuming). I can contribute what little I have right now. Still not sure what the best way to teach people Web IDL is… hands on… videos… etc.
>

> I think that you might be misunderstanding Francios' point on that one
> -- essentially he is saying that some native features help enable our
> ability to prolly/pollyfill -- for example, MutationObservers. We
> want to help raise the priority of these by providing use-cases and
> feedback and help identify others where they make sense, explain why
> and advocate with editors where appropriate.

Ah, if so! yeah, I'm totally for that :) however, it's a hard sell. We had this discussion at TPAC during WebApps WG meeting in 2011 (Alex Russell in particular pushed for less magic in the DOM and the ability to extend things in the DOM)… we got a lot of pushback on that. I've also pushed for that a lot: like asking for DOM Exceptions to be constructible so we can use them in polyfills, etc. Browser vendors are not into it… they know about it, but they are really resistant.

Regardless, happy to keep lobbying and fighting the good fight there.

--
Marcos Caceres