Re: Scope of the Extensible Web Community Group [via Extensible Web Community Group]

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM, François REMY wrote:

> Hi everybody! Firstly, welcome in this group. At nExtWeb, we have the following
> missions : Collect good samples of polyfill and get the polyfill concept
> "known". Analyze existing polyfills and spec new browser's features that would
> make them easier to create. Create samples and guidelines for polyfills writer.
> Get the concept of "forward polyfill" known by the other W3C groups and [...]
Thanks for the initial post. As there are only 5 of us, I figured we do the discussion here…

I think a good source of polyfills is caniuse.com.

Whom do you intend to target with "get the polyfill concept “known”"? Do we have evidence that people don't know what a polyfill is? And which people? (i.e., this should be a second level priority IMHO). For example, Remy Sharp's article goes back to 2010, which means the term has been used by the web dev community for at least 2 years.

Also, is there are problem here? Have we found that polyfills are not doing their job properly? (my personal motivation is just to know if I am "doing it right", as I've written a few for various things … I've implemented them to follow behavior and error handling in Web IDL, and I've not found many others that do this).

From experience, any guidelines we produce will need to be on wiki or github - this stuff needs to change rapidly as next best practices come and go very quickly (i.e., this needs to be a living document from the start and assumed it will remain so).

Added some "prior art" articles to the wiki, which I thought were relevant here:
http://www.w3.org/community/nextweb/wiki/Prior_art

--
Marcos Caceres