Re: [manifest] Is the Webapp Manifest spec ready for FPWD?

On 6/6/12 3:35 PM, "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Tobie Langel wrote:
>
>> Mozilla's proposal seems to essentially target applications distributed
>> through app stores. We'd like to see a solution that also enables
>> providing meta data to bookmarked apps similar to how meta tags work in
>> iOS.
>
>I've not much experience with the iOS meta tags, so is there anything
>missing in W3C Widget's config.xml or in Moz's JSON?

Not in the configuration file itself (what Mozilla calls the Web
Application Manifest), but it is not specified how it is delivered to the
client in that case.

>Would be cool if one could just do:
>
><!-- gimme config in accepted format (xml or json) -->
>
>That way, there is no need to repeat meta tags in every page... just
>repeat it onceŠ

Absolutely, or:

and combine appcache and config into a single format. The AppCache
manifest format works beautifully in JSON (and I'm sure it would do
equally well in XML). See how the sample manifest files provided in the
HTML5 spec[1] would look like in JSON: https://gist.github.com/2881982

>or doing something like a fav.ico equivalent that is loaded
>automagically.

I'd rather we avoided simultaneously adding an extra http request to all
the web pages in the world **and** filling server logs with garbage 404
requests.

--tobie

---
[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/offline.html#some-sample-manifests