Re: [manifest] Is the Webapp Manifest spec ready for FPWD?

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:
> On 31 May 2012, at 23:23, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
>> Is anyone besides Mozilla interested in implementing this specification?
>
> I think people are just trying to work out what it does and if it
> brings value to particular communities.
>
> Having said that, the only other really big (i.e. in terms of millions of users right now) candidate for implementation is Google as this proposal is supposed to harmonise the Chrome store approach to installable Web apps with Moz's go at entering the same market (and sharing apps across stores/browsers).
>
> Adam, as you are associated with Google, can you find out if Google's chrome store team are interested in moving it forward?

My understanding is that standardizing the package format isn't very
high on the team's priority list.  They're more interested in
standardizing the security model and associated APIs, which is why
we're interested in forming the SysApps working group.

As an example, <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/app-manifest/raw-file/tip/index.html>
has a "required_features" field, which makes some implicit assumptions
about the security model.  It seems premature to work on a format for
declaring this sort of information without having nailed down the
security model.  If I were running the show, I'd take up this work in
the SysApps working group after we'd made some progress on the
security model and at least a handful of APIs.  Then we'll have
something concrete to describe in the manifest.

Having said that (and I can check with the team if you'd like a
definitive answer), I doubt they'd oppose folks working on this topic.
 I just wouldn't expect much feedback from them in the near term.

Adam